Top Five Tips for Volunteers
It’s your first time volunteering at overnight camp. You’ve got butterflies in your stomach – both nervous and excited about the opportunity.
Here are some top tips and tricks from Bryn, a seasoned volunteer, to help make your first volunteer experience a memorable one.
- Set clear boundaries with your cabin kids about sleep. Let them know what they can wake you up for in the middle of the night, and provide clear examples.
- Take turns with your co-counsellor about who is “on call.” Share the responsibility of who can be waken up at the middle of the night or during rest hour. This ensures you keep up your energy during the week.
- Always bring an extra pair of indoor flip flops for the shower. In other words, you have both shower shoes and beach shoes.
- If you can, bring a duvet to sleep in rather than a sleeping bag. You will be much more comfortable during the week.
- Write down or capture special moments that happen throughout the day. Take a photo, bring a journal or make a note on your phone. At the end of the night, jot these down. You will be grateful you did in the weeks, months and even years that follow.